It’s a very sad situation, the way the leaders are going about with the mining forum and the push for re-opening of the close Panguna mine. Mekamui news always maintains that the pro-mining leaders manipulated the forum with the backing from BCL and its shareholders.
This is the truth, that those who attended the past forums were those who were invited by the facilitators who in many ways 70-80% for re-opening of the mine and who would and have contributed in favour of re-opening the mine. For those others who were invited and 80-90% No to re-opening the mine were brainstorm by the facilitators at the start of the forums that the cry for Independence will not be possible if the mine doesn’t open so during the meetings they change their minds.
After the couple of forums held so far the ABG president is saying that a minority are still against reopening the mine which is what Mekamui news been stating over and over again that it will leads to killing machine. Mekamui news found out that the bulk of the grass roots people out in the villages are still against reopening the mine and hasn’t given the chance to voice their views and concern out.
A prominent businessman and landowner from Tungpusiong told Mekamui news on Friday in Arawa that they are against reopening the mine they don’t want anymore waste dump down to them. Also on Tuesday 9th July when waiting for transport at Morgen check point to go to Siwai Colonel Alex Dakamari who is in charge of the check point told Mekamui News that even they [ABG] or whoever talk about reopening the mine the answer from us is No.
Mekamui news further asked people in Arawa about it and majority of those interviewed echo the same thing, we don’t want mining.
It would be great and best in order to avoid any more blood shed on the island for ABG to held a referendum on Panguna mine rather than the one sided forums which they say public forum but only invited people attended and not the grassroots who are the ones will carry the pain and burden.